KDM United Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hyundai's Concept Car: The i-flow

Go down

Hyundai's Concept Car: The i-flow Empty Hyundai's Concept Car: The i-flow

Post by sonic Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am

Hyundai's Concept Car: The i-flow

Hyundai's Concept Car: The i-flow Txt_6_09

Making its global debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, the Hyundai i-flow concept car carries forward the company’s evocative new form language, ‘fluidic sculpture’. The flowing, elegant lines not only create a bionic, futuristic shape, but also contribute to exceptional aerodynamics, helping to reduce the car’s CO2 output to just 85 g/km and fuel consumption to only 3l/100 km.

Hyundai’s first diesel hybrid power-train is also a key factor in delivering such an environmentally-conscious return, as is the application of next-generation materials and technologies developed in cooperation with leading chemical company BASF.

Previewing a Future D-Segment Contender

With an overall length of 4,780 mm and a 2,800 mm wheelbase, the i-flow brings new ideas and a pioneering form to the traditional European D-segment. The dramatically-sculpted forms of the interior and exterior make for a striking sport sedan, and its width and height (1,850 mm and 1,420 mm respectively) give it an athletic stance.

The name i-flow reflects the exceptionally aerodynamic shape and the flowing lines of the concept car’s eye-catching styling, and retains the ‘i’ prefix of Hyundai’s established alphanumeric nomenclature for Europe. In 2011 Hyundai will bring into production a new challenger in the segment, drawing on the i-flow’s sleek styling and innovative technology.

The Evolution of "Fluidic Sculpture"

Thomas Buerkle, Chief Designer at Hyundai Motor Europe, appraises the design concept of i-flow, or HED-7, the seventh in a series of daring concept cars to be born in the Russelsheim styling studio:

The first impression of i-flow is the striking appearance generated through feminine sculptural layers combined with broad, athletic proportions. The rearward-oriented peak of the roof and distinctive main volume give an ultramodern interpretation of the sedan genre. These unique proportions are complemented by the long tail and the short front overhang, features which were inspired with aerodynamic motives.

Sporting intentions are emphasized through innovative active aero elements, such as the adaptive front spoiler and side rocker blade. Sophisticated, futuristic front and rear light elements are cradled like sparkling jewels within the car’s flowing planes, and the signature Hyundai hexagonal grille completes the frontal aspect.

The sense of agility and focused aerodynamics is further enforced by the glass roof, with its semi-transparent dye-sensitized solar cells connecting the front and rear screens to create an integral design unit. The roof and door glazing blend to form a unified shell, undercutting the floating C-pillar to produce an undisturbed, aerodynamic canopy. These daring, refined details complement the i-flow’s overall appearance to culminate in a bold design statement which advances Hyundai’s fluidic sculpture philosophy.

Hyundai's Concept Car: The i-flow Txt_6_08

sonic
sonic

https://kdmunitedph.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down